- 600g ox tripe, cleaned, cooked and sliced into small pieces
- 250g beef heart, sliced into small pieces
- 250g beef liver, sliced into small pieces
- 250g beef brisket, sliced into small pieces
- 3 pcs medium sized bitter gourd, seeded and sliced into large chunks
- 1 big packet sinigang mix (tamarind mix)
- 1 to 1.5 liters beef stock
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1 thumb size ginger, crushed and sliced finely
- 2 medium size red onion, chopped
- 6 green finger chillies (siling haba)
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Marinate liver for 30 minutes in vinegar then set aside.
- In a pot sauté garlic, ginger and onion in oil.
- Add all meat ingredients except for the liver, stir fry for 1 minute until some brown colour appear on the meat.
- Add beef stock, bitter gourd and chillies (do not slice). Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Drain the vinegar out of the liver.
- Remove the chunks of bitter gourd and place them on a blender, blend well.
- Place blended bitter gourd into a fine sieve or a muslin cloth, run some hot stock on top while draining directly on the pot, this will get the maximum bitterness of the bitter gourd while making the soup clear.
- Add sinigang mix and liver simmer for additional 10 minutes
- Flavour with fish sauce (according to your taste) and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy your pinapaitan!
You may also like>>> Easy Bopis Recipe