Easy, delicious heart-shaped shortbread cookies!
- 3 sticks (1 ½ cups unsalted butter)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Few drops of pink or red food color (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- With a flat beater, cream butter until light and smooth.
- Add granulated sugar and mix until well blended.
- Add powdered sugar and salt and beat until fully combined.
- Add the flour and beat until fully incorporated.
- Optional: add a few drops of food color. Mix the food color in with the dough until thoroughly combined.
- For cutouts, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for about 15 minutes. Divide dough in two or three portions. Roll on a sheet of waxed paper and cut shapes with a cookie cutter. Bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for about 15 minutes, remove from oven and lightly sprinkle with sugar while still very warm.
- If baking cookie dough in a baking dish, press the dough evenly in a 9 x 13 ovenproof dish and pierce the dough making deep indentations with a fork all over the surface. Bake for about 35 – 40 minutes or, if the dough is not tinted, until lightly browned and slightly darker at the edges. Remove from the oven and cut into squares while still warm.
Bake time is about 15 mins if baking cut outs on a cookie sheet, about 40 mins if baking in an oven proof dish.