One of the most hated, but is actually one of the healthiest veggies is the Ampalaya, or bitter gourd as it called in English. Because of its bitter taste, and ‘unappealing look’, many kids are not convinced to eat it. But starting today, you should worry no more! With this dish, Ampalaya Con Carne, you can really make your ampalaya more appetizing and more kid-friendly! The marinated pork when mixed to Ampalaya will cover up the bitter taste and will make the dish even more delicious! If kids are not yet convinced that ampalaya is very rich in essential Vitamins like B1 and B2 and dietary fiber, they surely will, when pork comes in! Aside from this dish being healthy and appetizing, it is also an easy to do and a very budget-friendly dish! If you have P200, you can already make a serving for 3-4 persons. So what are you waiting for? Check this recipe now!
2 cups sliced bitter gourd (ampalaya)
1/2 kg beef sirloin
1 medium sized onion, sliced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger, julienned
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed in 2 tbsp water
1 tsp ground black pepper
salt to taste
1. Cut and slice beef thinly.
2. Soak sliced ampalaya in salted water for 5-10 minutes to lessen the bitter taste. Wash, drain, and set aside.
3. Marinate beef with soy sauce, ground black pepper, cornstarch mixed with water and sesame oil mixture for half an hour or more.
4. Pan fry the marinated beef until it turns medium dark brown (3 minutes on each side). Set aside.
5. On a separate pan, sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
7. Add soaked ampalaya and stir fry for 3 minutes. Then add beef and half cup water, bring to a boil and simmer for another 5 minutes or until beef is tender.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately. Enjoy!