Originally, this dish came from Spain cuisine. Its name is derive from the paellera which means the flat, round pan in which it is cooked. Made by the mixture of sausage, shrimp, fish, mussels, and saffron-flavored rice, this recipe make it perfect to fit any special occasion. Aside from the seafood, this dish is made flavorful and savoring using other ingredients such as chicken broth, saffron threads, bay leaves, olive oil, chorizo, onion, garlic, mushrooms, paella rice, shrimp, live clams, frozen peas, zucchini, kale, salt and pepper to taste. A very savoring dish, that includes lots of seafood. Perfect to serve with hot cooked rice as viand during lunch or dinner. A great choice to serve during get together of family and friends as well. Enjoy this dish now to give it a try. Surely, you’ll love this healthy and yet delicious dish with its savory, meaty, flavorful taste. Happy cooking!
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch saffron threads (about 10 strands)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb chorizo or andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups paella rice (calasparra or bomba prefered, arborio okay)
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1/2 lb live clams
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges for serving
- In a small pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Add the saffron and bay leaves, then remove from the heat, allowing the flavors to infuse for at least 10 minutes.
- As the broth steeps, let’s prep the paella. In a paella pan or large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and sauté until browned, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms start to release their liquid, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and toast it until the rice is opaque, about 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the saffron-infused stock and bay leaves; gently stir until well mixed. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Allow to simmer uncovered without stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange the shrimp and clams on top of the paella, then press them a bit into the rice and liquid. Add the peas, zucchini, and kale, then loosely cover with a lid or foil and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the clams have opened and the shrimp has turned pink. Taste and add salt and pepper, discard the bay leaves, then serve with lemon wedges.