The Filipino cuisine is rich on different kind of dishes, be it with meat, sea foods, desserts, pastry, or dishes for snacks. Like this puto pandan recipe which is one of the kakanin or native dishes we have. Most of these kakanin are using coconut as one of the ingredients. No wonder because coconut is one of our farmers local product that is widely produced especially on the province of Quezon. However, this puto pandan is made with all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, eggs, melted butter, panda, cheese for toppings, and green coloring. Indulge yourself to this soft, creamy and cheesy treat that will surely make your snack extra special. Perfect for snacks with your favorite hot drink like coffee, chocolate or tea. Plus, you don’t need to worry if you didn’t do well in the kitchen, this recipe is so easy to follow and doesn’t require baking or oven. This rice cakes are cooked in steamer. Great for simple gatherings and family or friends bonding, or perhaps if you have balik bayan visitors. Surely they would be delighted as they missed the Filipino cuisines. Add this to your file of recipes next to cook and prepare and enjoy this sweet, delicious puto pandan.
(makes about 40pcs with bite-size molds)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbs melted butter
1 1/4 cup pandan water
cheese for topping (optional)
1/4 tsp green coloring (optional)
1. To make pandan water, you will need 2 pandan leaves and 2 cups of water. Boil the leaves until the flavors are infused into the water. (You may also use pandan extract.)
2. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients then beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the pandan water and continue beating until you achieve a smooth batter.
3. Add the melted batter. Mix until the butter is fully incorporated into the mixture and you don’t see any traces of butter on the top layer.
4. You may also add the green coloring at this point if desired. Mix until the color is totally infused into the batter and a balance has been achieved.
5. Pour into the puto molds and steam for about 10-12 minutes. At about 8 minutes into the steaming time, add your cheese topping if desired.
6. Turn off heat and remove from molds.