- 1kg pork liempo (belly), cut into cubes
- 3/4cup peanuts, skinned and toasted (in lieu of salted black beans)
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 pcs. bay leaf
- 1 tsp. peppercorns, crushed
- In a pot, put the liempo and water (just enough to cover the liempo). Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove the scum and lower the heat.
- Add the garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Simmer it until the pork is tender.
- When the cooking liquid has evaporated, leaving just about less than a cup, stir once in a while to avoid burning the bottom. Wait until the pork renders its own fat then skim it off again.
- Add the peanuts and then season according to your preference.